If you have ever applied for a job, you couldn’t avoid spotting positive thinking or positive mindset in the list of requirements. We all accept that having a positive outlook on life helps when it comes to facing everyday challenges even though we might not know precisely how positive thinking works.
Are there natural born positive thinkers?
I read an article a couple of years ago about research that found biological evidence which proved there are negative and positive people in the world. It sounded interesting. At least I found it interesting because I have always believed that I have a choice of following a positive or a negative mindset.
A study performed in the Michigan State University, involving 71 women, found that some of the participants of the survey struggled to put a positive spin on difficult situations which they had to observe. The participants of the study had the opportunity to look at various photos and provide their opinion about a potential outcome of a situation they saw in the picture.
As much as I find the results of this research interesting, I still like to think that I have a choice. Even though some people might find it more difficult to view certain situations in a favourable light, adopting a positive attitude is possible.
Of course, I am not saying we should convince ourselves that whatever happens in our lives is positive and beneficial to us, but I still believe that being a glass-half-full person is in fact rewarding.
Let me share with you a couple of reasons why being positive is helpful:
- Expecting a positive outcome and good things to come will lead you to take actions that result in progress and more often than not in positive outcomes unless your positivity is somewhat naivety or irresponsible behaviour.
- Expecting negative results or that bad things will come your way will slow you down, or even worse will keep you from taking steps, and you will deny yourself of the steps that might have helped you prevent or reduce the adverse outcome you feared.
- Expecting positive things to happen is also helpful when it comes to closing the gap between where you are now, even if you are struggling to see the light at the end of the tunnel, and where your desired destination is. With the positive mindset, you will take the courage to step outside your comfort zone and do something you found challenging before. It is undeniably an excellent way to stretch yourself because it builds self-confidence in a specific field and improves your overall self-esteem.
- I often say that where a pessimist sees a problem, I find an opportunity. Have you seen anyone solving a problem by complaining about it? I haven’t.
Problem-solving is a creative process, and while it is true that it requires us to think about the problem itself, it also includes an analysis of the problem which then leads to solutions; given we are dissatisfied with the current way of doing things.
Some would argue that willingness to solve a particular problem also depends on the level of dissatisfaction and discomfort with the problem we are trying to solve, and I somewhat agree with that opinion. But beyond the willingness, being able to reframe the situation and view it from a different angle is as much important. If you change the way you look at your situation, and the challenges in it, not only your view will change but the problem itself. Your mind will suddenly shed light on a rich array of opportunities to discover inner resources, ways to learn and grow.
“If your actions create a legacy that inspires others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, then, you are an excellent leader.”
Dolly Parton, singer-songwriter
How does a woman become a high achiever?
According to a study about Harward Business School MBA graduates, a couple of years ago, women and men had similar values in respect of their hopes for achievements in life and career.
Women rated highly factors such as satisfying work that is meaningful, professional achievements and accomplishments as key dimensions of their professional lives. Career growth opportunities and development programmes were of as much importance to them.
While some work in corporate jobs and others find job satisfaction and fulfilment in other professional areas, achievement and the desire for inspiration & growth are similarly form parts of our lives.
Whether we work in business, as artists or in public services there are behavioural patterns that enable us to higher achievement. Such behavioural patterns are:
- seeking clarity about her own self and the world around her
- finding and generating energy in almost any situation
- being courageous and bold, trusting her own abilities
- continuously improving her self and her capabilities
We could continue this list, do some more research and find that there are many different views on this topic. Instead, why don’t we view the following video and think about these amazing women? They are truly inspirational for their hard work, dedication and spirit. How did they do it?
It is as critical to face challenges with dignity as to have the necessary tools for such a task if you are to tackle them effectively and emerge a victor.
No single human being leads a quiet, smooth and happy life that is devoid of stress factors, ills, or complications all through.